Installing a brand new roof will drastically improve your home’s protection against weather extremes and harsh outdoor elements. It will also increase its overall energy efficiency, allowing you to save on utility costs while regulating your indoor temperature. Most importantly, it will also enhance your home’s curb appeal and value, which is ideal if you are thinking about selling it in the future.
Despite the many benefits of roof replacement, though, it’s important to note that not all homeowners who decide to get an upgrade may enjoy the same benefits. Worse, some may even get more headaches and splurge more on an “upgrade” that does the opposite by committing a few mistakes along the way. The good news is, you can avoid some of these common mistakes with proper planning, preparation, and guidance.
To achieve a successful roof replacement project, it pays to know the things you should avoid from the start. International Construction Services, Inc., the leading provider of professional roofing services in the region, discusses some of them here.
- Failing to get estimates. Getting at least three estimates from different contractors will help you narrow down your choices for your project. Be sure to get the quotes in writing so you have tangible proof, and costs cannot change significantly later in your upgrade, as this can affect your finances, especially if you are on a tight budget.
- Choosing price over quality. When looking at various estimates, you must not only focus on the price each contractor is offering. Prioritize product and service quality, and experience more when deciding which residential roofing company to hire. In some cases, roofers may offer a lower quote because they cut corners on the materials. Whether you are planning a roof replacement or repair, it’s always best to hire someone who has extensive experience and is offering premium-grade products.
- Not researching about your roofer. Roof replacement is a complicated project that involves a huge investment, that’s why it’s imperative to truly get to know your contractor. Verify if their license and insurance are valid, and research about the manufacturer certifications they carry. These things will offer protection from any liability in case contingencies happen. It’s also a good idea to contact the references your roofer provided to ask about their experience.
- Not signing a written contract. A written contract is always necessary, no matter what home upgrade you are planning. It will stand up in court if you are not satisfied with the result of your project. Additionally, a contract helps prevent miscommunication and misunderstandings between you and your contractor.
- Attempting to DIY. Roofing, particularly roof replacement, is not a DIY project, even if you have some knowledge about it. Aside from the risks of working from sloping heights, you probably don’t have the tools and equipment a professional roofer has. Remember to always get the help of a professional and certified contractor, so you can get the most value out of your money.
When you work with International Construction Services, Inc. for your project, we’ll be sure to guide you every step of the way, so you can make informed decisions. As a licensed, insured, and certified company, we pride ourselves on our quality workmanship and attention to detail. Schedule free roofing estimates with us! To get started, call us at (803) 699-5106 or fill out our form today.