From metal and slate to tiles and wood, there are a handful of roofing materials to choose from. However, the most popular among them is asphalt — thanks to its charming appearance and cost-effectiveness. Whether you currently have an asphalt shingle roof that needs repairs or you’re shopping around for the best replacement material for your home’s roofing system, it’s important to have a comprehensive understanding of this specific material, especially when it comes to maintenance.
While asphalt shingles aren’t weak, they aren’t exactly unbreakable. Yes, they can last for more than 25 years, but this is only if they are maintained properly. Many different factors may contribute to the premature deterioration of these shingles, including bad weather and falling branches, just to name a few. To keep your shingles healthy for as long as possible, you must combat these factors. International Construction Services, Inc., your go-to new construction roofing contractor, shares the do’s and don’ts of asphalt shingle maintenance.
What You Should Do
- Remove debris and trim down tree branches. Cut down any overhanging tree limbs surrounding your home, particularly your roof. Doing so will help prevent debris from falling off your roof, especially during bad weather. Additionally, more sunlight will reach your system, preventing the growth of certain organisms, such as mold and mildew.
- Use only mild cleaning solutions. One of the biggest mistakes of homeowners is using harsh chemicals when cleaning their asphalt shingle roofs. Doing so can cause the colors to fade and lose the asphalt granules that naturally protect the shingles. Ask your roof replacement contractor to use only mild and environmentally friendly cleaners when washing and treating your roof.
- Take your gutters into consideration. When it comes to roof maintenance, many homeowners fail to spend time taking care of their gutter system. What they don’t realize is clogged gutters can start many roofing problems, from water damage to mildew formation. Make sure your gutters are unclogged and free from debris to ensure proper water flow. When your gutters are clear, you can rest easy knowing your shingles don’t trap excess water and that your foundation is dry. It’s also smart to install gutter covers to automatically prevent leaves and other debris from falling directly into your gutters.
What You Should NOT Do
- Use pressure washer on your asphalt roof. Never use a pressure washer on your asphalt shingle roof. The water from a pressure washer may reach 200+ miles per hour, faster than any recorded hurricane. Doing this can lift, break and loosen shingles, as well as wash out protective granules.
- Do it yourself. Homeowners are not encouraged to climb up on a roof because it’s very dangerous. In fact, roofing is included in the top 10 most dangerous jobs in the country. After a severe weather event, call your trusted asphalt roof replacement professional to inspect your roof for storm damage.
If you need help taking proper care of your asphalt shingle roof, you can always turn to the experts at International Construction Services, Inc. Give us a call at (803) 699-510 or complete our contact form today to schedule a FREE estimate.